Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 2 - My Favorite Movie

I don't have a favorite movie. I'm still waiting for it to be made; however, I do still like a lot of movies. I've categorized them below:

Category A: The movies I admire
These are the movies which, after seeing, I think 'Dang, I wish I'd written that!' I think they are smart, amazing, and awe-inspiring. Some include:

Saving Private Ryan
Oceans 12 - 11 is good, but I think 12 is better due to the fantastic ensemble acting.
500 Days of Summer
Once - wonderfully authentic
For Your Consideration - This encompasses anything by Christopher Guest including Spinal Tap.
Holy Grail
Everything is Illuminated - great story, amazing dialogue.
Little Miss Sunshine - wonderful characters

Category B: Sentimental Favorites
These are the movies that, for whatever reason, make me feel all warm and fuzzy and like reminiscing.

It's A Wonderful Life - Always makes me cry. George Bailey reminds me of my dad.
Fiddler on the Roof - What can I say, I love Jews. Really. And I love this story. And Tevye reminds me of my dad.
To Kill a Mockingbird - one of my very favorite stories. The music reminds me of Sunday afternoons. And Atticus reminds me of my dad.
The Wizard of Oz - Totally creepy, but it was my favorite as a kid and so I still love it.
Back to the Future - Just a classic. Doc does not remind me of my dad.


Category C: The movies I actually watch
If we're going to be honest, all those other movies are great, but if I'm all alone on a rainy night trying to choose a movie, these are the ones that 9 out of 10 times I will choose. This will tell you a great deal about me...I am a 19th century romanti-holic. Judge me if you will.

Becoming Jane - I don't know why I enjoy such a sad story. It may or may not have something to do with James McAvoy...
Penelope - Not an oscar contender...but I like it. Again, James McAvoy may be a factor.
Pride & Prejudice - Probably the movie I would delegate as my "favorite." It is beautiful. The book is nice, but the movie is beautiful!
Sense & Sensibility - Brilliant adaptation. Witty, lovely. Maybe I'm a dolt, but I much prefer Jane Austen movies to Jane Austen novels. They are prettier.
Simon Shama's A History of Britain - 6 discs (or more) of a dorky but brilliant guy talking about Britain. Totally grim, gruesome, political, and I think, wonderful.


7 comments:

Lizzie Jones said...

"What can I say, I love Jews. Really." This is why I love you, Annie.

Also, you should get the new BBC Sense and Sensibility and the new BBC Emma. And the new BBC Jane Eyre. All lovely. I think you can find most of them online or youtube for free.

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

Love your movie choices. They remind me of dad.

Kathie said...

Okay, next time we are in town we are having a big movie fest with you guys. I love most of those movies, and the ones I have not seen are now on my to rent list.

Mike + Mo said...

I love all of your selections! I watched Pride and Prejudice probably every Sunday when I was single... I need to get back into that... I grew up in Sense and Sensibility, and Much Ado About Nothing! please tell me you have seen Much Ado About Nothing....

Grace said...

Well, I have to admit that I would be watching almost all of those exact same movies on a rainy day. And the history of Britain sounds wonderful. I'll look into get that one.

Dangcutekids said...

You've got to see the new BBC Sense and Sensibility minus about the first three minutes. The new Emma is also a classic. Thanks for the journey of favorites. You are funny, and you have great taste. Now we have a list of to-rents, thanks!