Thursday, August 2, 2012

Welcome to Germany

We decided to take a trip to Germany and Austria. We left early Saturday morning, hopped on a plane for a couple of hours, then we were there. Almost.

 On our way to the hotel (we accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up stuck in seven miles of bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic. Our thirty minute detour did nothing to help our exhaustion from the flight (and we were only half a day into our trip!) However, we did finally make it to Munich. We rested, packed up, and headed out to see the city.

Then it started to rain.

And then it went from raining to pouring.

Both Roo and I each had a kid in a stroller. I was balancing an umbrella, Esme was holding another one, and Roo was getting soaked. Meanwhile, there were hordes of people EVERYWHERE. It was so crowded! I found myself getting frustrated. The cobblestones were too bumpy. The streets were too busy. I couldn't see anything past my cheap umbrella. Nothing was what it was supposed to be. However, as is usually the case, a bit of food completely repaired my bad attitude. We found a perfect place to eat. We got a couple giant pretzels and apple strudels into my system, the sun came out, and I was ready to have a good time!





Munich was extremely crowded, but quite pretty. Most of this part of the city was destroyed during the war, but they rebuilt it to look as it had. I like that they did that rather than just starting all over.

Penny was enjoying the table cloth. And the Asian girls next to us were enjoying Penny--they asked to take her picture and spent the rest of the time staring and smiling at her.


German food is so good! I love the pretzels and the lumberjack-sized portions.

Here I am happy that the sun emerged.



We bought some expensive chocolate, ice cream, and glanced at souvenirs.
Esmé was such a trooper. She'd had a long wait in an airport, a squishy plane ride, an extended stint in the car, and a long walk, but she remained mostly happy and cooperative. We all slept well that night!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Jealous, rain and all!

Lynn said...

What elaborate architecture. So interesting that it was rebuilt like it was originally (probably with 20th century improvements). So glad all had a good time, eventually! I want one of those pretzels (hopefully tastier than the Mickey ear ones at Disneyland).

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

So cool that you braved Germany. Can you bring me some chocolate in 3 years?