Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 2: Dachau

We set out in the morning from Munich worried that the drizzly weather would hamper our visit to Dachau, but once we got there, the weather cleared up and it became a bright, lovely day.

Is it strange to say that I really enjoyed visiting a concentration camp? The Holocaust is a topic that I've studied quite a bit, so to see a place where such a thing took place was moving, absolutely fascinating, and sobering. I'm so glad we went. It meant a lot to me.

At the entrance

"Work will set you free"


Recreated bunks in the barracks

The common area in front of the administration building. This is where the prisoners were forced to stand for roll call.

Only the foundations of the barracks remain, like enormous cemetery plots.


The Jewish memorial


The crematorium


2 comments:

Lynn said...

I am glad that you had the chance to see something you have studied so much. It makes it real.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I would love to visit a concentration camp someday. Your description is how I felt about watching Schindler's List. It was "good" in the sense that it was so moving and powerful, yet so sad.