Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hallstatt

After finishing at Dachau, we started an almost three hour drive to the Austrian lake district. We were amazed at how beautiful the countryside was!

 Our final destination was a town called Hallstatt nestled on the side of a mountain. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in Europe. There was a Hallstatt before there was a Rome. People have been mining salt there since forever.

The town was like out of a fairy tale and one of the most amazing places I've been.
Austrian countryside

The view helped ease the pain of many miles of slow traffic...
Hallstatt (photo from here)

The view from our hotel room



The town square

The Catholic church




This house had the most amazing pear tree growing against it.



A view of the lake from the Catholic church

Our hotel. It was creaky and old and wonderful.



5 comments:

Amy said...

I love Austria! Hallstatt looks absolutely breathtaking.

Lynn said...

Dad said...Such an amazing blessing to see my little girl and her little girls with their amazing husband and father in a beautiful land that they truly appreciate. To look out the window of a creaky, old and wonderful hotel fuels the imagination and is the genesis for stories and wonder about the people who have gone before. We are so grateful you have this opportunity and hope to read in depth from your journal (written when things are quiet) to see what you saw and feel what you felt.

Roo said...

Journals cannot withstand the intense and often explosive nature of my personal feelings. You must rely on Annie's.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Wow - What a beautiful place. I stopped by Austria on my way home from my mission. It was one of the cleanest places I have ever been to, but that may have just been my perspective upon arriving from Ukraine.

Freckles Phillips said...

It does look like a fairy tale! I hope Esmé will remember some of these adventures!