Saturday, July 7, 2012

Our Daily Life


Here is our jazzy new car. It's actually six years old, has broken A/C and we can't figure out how to change the radio stations, but it's ours. And it holds seven people, so that means it is all ready for visitors! It's our Fun Bus! I have to try to not hit the curb while I'm driving on the wrong side of the street.


Here we are stocking up at the grocery store. If you want to make Mexican food, your options here are decidedly limited; however, if you'd like any form of milk (dry, canned, cheesed, yogurted, curdled) you're in luck. The shopping cart wheels all turn 360 degrees, making them probably more user-friendly in some way that my American brain has yet to figure out. For me, they're just unruly.

I was excited to find this The Stig cake in a box.


Life here has basically settled into a normal routine. We play at the park. We go for walks. We take Roo to the office. We watch British TV--for about ten minutes until we realize once again that British TV is terrible (FYI, in case you were wondering whether the British version of The Bachelor is even trashier than the American version, the answer is yes, it is.)

We celebrated Independence Day with some fellow Americans from church at a cottage in the countryside. We ate burgers, baked beans, and watermelon. It was good to celebrate our home country for awhile. The few British people who were they seemed pretty devastated about having lost the Colonies, though...

There's lots of rain, but the sun does come out occasionally. The countryside is so beautiful! I think this is the loveliest place I've ever been. I love it here so far!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Sounds like fun! I remember there being no Mexican food at the grocery stores from when it was my turn to cook during the semester abroad. If I recall, they don't even really have salsa. I will say though, that there is a plethora of Indian ingredients at the common grocery store.

Lynn said...

So glad that you have not been disappointed by life in England. Routines are good to make even strange places feel normal.

Grannie G said...

Love your car :~) and I know how you feel about British TV. I try to follow some of the programs but miss so much I get frustrated and give up.

Emily Wright said...

It's fun hearing about and seeing pictures of your life in England. And not only are you driving on the wrong side of the road, but the wrong side of the car! I would be bumping into more than just curbs.