Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Brighton

As you may or may not remember, in Pride and Prejudice, Brighton is the place from whence Lydia runs away with Mr. Wickham and nearly brings ruin upon the whole of her family.  Well, after going to Brighton myself,  let's just say I'm not surprised that happened here.  Lots of dirtiness in more than one way. The sea was lovely and the buildings were interesting, but for me Brighton was sort of a sad place. It had the feel of a once magnificent destination gone cheaply commercial, dilapidated, deteriorated from its former glory. We didn't have time to walk out on the pier. Maybe next time I'm feeling wild we'll go down and give it a whirl.

It was fun to get above the city in this big ferris wheel we rode:






Brighton from Annie Phillips on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Annie. I have noticed a lot of coats and pants in your pictures. I know the heat was oppressive in Houston but what are your thoughts about bundling up in summertime? Although I have been to neither Brighton sounds like Atlantic City.

Annie said...

I'm all for a light jacket or scarf in the summertime, especially if it is still sunny and beautiful out. However, the past few days here have been wet, windy, and can't break 63 degrees. Not a fan. I saw a girl wearing a fur lined coat today. It's the 4th of July! Come on! I'd still take this over the appalling heat of Houston, though.

Yes, I imagine Brighton is England's Atlantic City. Think tour buses of retirees.