Friday, April 23, 2010

Judge Not

I have to confess: I used to condemn people as complete idiots when I'd see them trudging through rain or snow in sandals. I'd think, aren't you competent enough to plan ahead? Are you seriously trading warm, dry feet for ease of slipping on your ratty flip flops? Is tying shoelaces just too much to ask?

But, yet again, Annie has been taught to stop judging.

It is raining today. Not the exciting dark, loud, thundercloud rain that stays just long enough to be interesting then moves on--this is the dreary, grey, drizzly rain that sticks around like a head cold. A hunched-shouldered, manic depressive rain-fog, who shuffles around in slippers and a bathrobe and never leaves the house. And guess what I'm wearing? Flip flops. Why? Aren't I competent enough to plan ahead?

The answer is simply this: my feet are too fat for my rain boots. That's right--too fat. I would probably put myself into labor should I attempt to push my tree-trunk ankles into those boots.

So as I went trudging through the wet grass this morning with my fully-exposed fat feet to get to the car, I thought I would refrain now on from juding the clothing choices of the people I see. Who knows, they may just have too-fat feet, too.

4 comments:

Mike + Mo said...

I'm pretty sure your fat feet are the cute baby girl kind of fat feet, not the other kind...

I can't wait to see HER!

The Bowes said...

towards the end I have to wear my slippers to church because they are the only thing that fit! PS. Try to eat low sodium foods. It really helps.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

What about your husband that wears shorts in the snow?

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

This is why I will never move back to Seattle. Based on your head cold analogy, You should never move to Seattle either. In Seattle It's more like a depressing head cold that lasts... forever.