Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 12 - Something Interesting

Interesting Fact #1: After applying for every single job in Southern California, Roo finally was offered one...in Texas!
Starting at the end of August, Roo will be working for an oil company in Houston, and as is customary, the dogs, the cat, the infant, and I will be moving with him there. Initially, the prospect of moving to Texas scared me. Why? Well, when I googled "Texas" these are some interesting images I came up with:


However, the looming menace of unemployment plus student loans has made me sincerely grateful that we have been offered this job. I've heard both good and bad about Houston (apparently the cost of living is nice and low and they have good ice cream), but it is so far from home and from most of our family. I can't pretend like that doesn't worry me. Plus, we are entirely unfamiliar with it. I've managed to feel good, even excited about the upcoming change, though. So if anyone has anything interesting to share about Houston or Texas, please feel free (this excludes any facts about hurricanes, tornadoes, or humidity...or snakes...or chainsaw massacres.)

Interesting Fact #2: Roo will undergo about 9-10 weeks of training for his new job. Six weeks of this training will take place here:
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
While the dogs, the cat, the infant, and I will remain here in the USA.

Interesting Fact #3: Sometimes cats reject their own teeth, and to keep them from becoming a painful infected mess, you have get them all removed. The vet told us that our cat will most likely have to get all her teeth taken out. Poor Leia!
So, Annie left in charge of one toothless cat, two wild dogs, and a newborn baby while Roo is in the Middle East, after which we'll move with the toothless cat, the wild dogs, and the newborn 2000 miles away from home: that will be really interesting...

9 comments:

TJ said...

This probably won't be helpful.

We lived in Houston for one summer when Ben turned one and I hated it there. The humidity was horrible and the bugs, I don't even want to talk about the bugs. But I do know some bugs killin' guys there if you need a referral.

Jesse C said...

Wow, congrats on the job Roo! That is great. Those pictures are pretty awesome. The GIANT rattle snake is quite disturbing, but it looks like they done broke its neckbone so you should be good.

Deja said...

I know this: Houston was once dubbed (in a scientific-ish manner) the fattest city in the nation. And as someone who lived in the fattest state in the nation (Mississippi), I can say that that was really good for my self esteem. But Wal-Mart can be scary (when is it not, really?).

Congrats on the job, Roo! And poor kitty! (Who rejects their own teeth? Come now, Kitty.) And I don't even know what to say about Saudi Arabia ... I'm sure Erica will have advice?

J.J. Phillips said...

That's great that Roo got a good job. Jennifer's parents lived in Houston for a few years after college and liked it. Like you said, good cost of living. I went there for work one week and liked the little bit that I saw. Oddly enough, I also know some bug killers in the area should the need arise.

sarahandmike said...

Annie I don't know who these “friends” of yours are, but their comments don’t sound very positive! I think Houston sounds like a great place. Here is a link to the MOST important thing in Houston! (He also tells about some other great things to do there!)

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/myhouston/Toby_the_Red_Panda

After looking at Toby, can you still say that you have any concerns about living there?! Also, I looked it up and there are about 10 Walmarts in Houston, so I’m sure you can find a safe one.

The Marcons said...

Congrats on the job Roo! I'm not a fan of your little family moving away though.

jordan said...

Kiplinger's Personal Finance named Houston the No. 1 city in the country to live and work, based on its strong economy, abundant jobs, reasonable living costs and fun things to do. (2008) In 2000 the US Census determined that Houston has no racial or ethnic majority.
Houston ranked as the No. 3 city for Fortune 500 headquarters in Fortune magazine (2008)
Forbes.com ranked Houston as the No. 7 city in the country for jobs. Houston ranked third in income growth and fourth in job growth. (2008)
Texas Medical Center (TMC) with 46 member institutions is the largest medical complex in the world.
The Galleria, one of Houston's most popular shopping and tourist destinations, features more than 375 fine stores and restaurants, a full-size ice rink, two high-rise hotels, two office towers and a variety of other amenities.
ForbesTraveler.com named Houston one of the best restaurant cities in America (2007).
Houston is a coastal city with some of the country's most diverse saltwater fishing opportunities available in the nearby waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Houston is also surrounded by 1.5 million acres of lakes and 80,000 miles of rivers and streams.

Bring on Houston! Plus, it gives us an excuse to travel to Texas.

The Brees said...

Annie I'm so excited for you and Roo's new job. I know it's scary to think of him being far away when you have a brand new baby, but I know you will pull through. Find people to come talk to you. Bond with your beautiful girl. Pray hard. Your burdens will be made light. And time will slowly speed by. I love you guys!

Merfy said...

My brother lived in Austin and loved it. Corry travels to the United Arab Emirates often so he would love to talk to Roo. Congrats on the job though! That is a blessing!