Friday, June 7, 2013

Haddon Hall

The last place we visited was Haddon Hall. This seriously old manor house has been used in loads of films, including The Princess Bride, Pride and Prejudice, and at least three adaptations of Jane Eyre. I really love the BBC production of Jane Eyre from 2006, and this was where it was filmed, so for all intents and purposes, this was Thornfield Hall to me. It felt exactly as you would expect, too.

It felt so old. Every piece of stone and wood was crooked and worn down. The place seemed to lean and buckle under the load of time. It wasn't impeccable or extravagant like Chatsworth; it was quiet and full of secrets with just the perfect amount of romantic dilapidation and mysterious passageways. I expected to see Mr. Rochester brooding at every turn. I loved this place so much!!











2 comments:

Lynn said...

What a perfect way to end your stay! I remember it from the movie! Certainly does make a wonderful Thornfield Hall! Lucky you all got to see it. I love the story of Jane Eyre.

Looks like a good place for the little girls to enjoy.

Grannie G said...

What a wonderful trip! I love Haddon Hall but can't imagine living in such a place. Sure do love your pictures though. The little girls are darling as usual and Annie you and Roo are beautiful.