Friday, September 7, 2012

Mingling with the Townsfolk

Yesterday, the girls and I walked into town to browse the market and do some errands. While taking a break by the fountain, I had a bizarrely revealing conversation with one of Horsham's residents.

The woman, who was at least in her late 80's, sat next to me on a bench where I was feeding Penny a bottle. She immediately began recounting how she nearly was run over by an ambulance, then she was distracted by the milk in Penny's bottle.

Old Lady: What kind of milk do you feed him? (Penny was wearing green.)

Annie: Usually I nurse her, but sometimes I feed her this powdered formula I get from the supermarket.

Old Lady: Well, I just couldn't make any milk for my babies!  It didn't come!

Annie (sympathetic, yet cautious. Worried this could get weird): Ahhh. Yeah. That's...tough.

Old Lady: But they said I have the best nipples!

Annie's Brain: (Yep, this got weird.)

Old Lady: You know, I didn't know some nipples were better than others, but they are!

Annie's Brain: (Please stop saying 'nipples')

Annie: hmm

Annie's Brain: (Sorry, Annie, I've got nothing more than 'hmm' as a response to that.)

Old Lady: Sadie, who shared a room with me in the hospital, well, she had inverted nipples and the baby just couldn't do much with those! (Every sentence was said in exclamation and amazement.)

Annie' Brain: (Oh please no. Let's not bring Sadie and her inverted nipples into this.)

Annie: Oh.

Old Lady: But Sadie said to me, 'Your nipples are wonderful!'

Annie's Brain: (How can Sadie know so much about your nipples? Dang--I wish I'd never had to ask myself that question because now I have to think about the answer!)

Old Lady went on to tell me all about how and what she fed her baby. I'm not a great conversationalist to begin with, but the most I could muster in this conversation was nodding and 'oh' and 'uh huh'. That was okay, though, because she couldn't really hear what I was saying anyway. Then suddenly she asked what the girls were named. I told her Penelope and Esmé. Surprisingly, she seemed to have heard of the name 'Esmé' before, unlike most people who look at me like I just made it up. "Ah" she said, "Esmé, yes, that's nice."

Then she left.

Then she came walking back.

Old Lady: You know what name I heard the other day? Phoebe! Now that's an old one too, isn't it?


Annie's Brain: (Has she been watching re-runs of FRIENDS?)

So even though I learned way more about her (and Sadie) than I ever wanted to know, the lady was sweet and it was nice of her to talk to me. Next time, I'll choose the topic, though.



7 comments:

Kathie said...

Okay I was laughing out loud at this. That is probably the best conversation I have ever heard. Too funny.

Amy said...

Ahhhhh! Too funny and way too much information!

Lynn said...

HILARIOUS!! Old people are just like little kids, inverted, they forget what is appropriate to talk about, little kids just don't know yet.

Grannie G said...

I guess this is one of the "getting old" perks - you can sit down by a beautiful young mother and just speak your mind. And if she gets a little flustered that just adds to the fun! Watch our for those little old ladies Annie!!

WhitParks said...

LOL Annie! LOL and dying! No way! I am so sorry!

Grace said...

That's awesome. I was having a good laugh trying to imagine it with a British accent. Makes the conversation even better.

Heather said...

It's a good thing you're not inverted....uh, I mean introverted. You handled that like a champ!