Sunday, May 1, 2011

Month 10

Month 10 of Esmé's life brought some great advancements.

Her hair is now long enough to sport cute barrettes.
She loves animals! We took her to Petsmart to watch the doggies and she just stood there with her hands against the glass and smiled. When we carried her over to see the dogs being groomed, her big smiles and laughs made every groomer in the room stop and smile at her.
She can order off the menu. Or at least, she can eat more adult food cut up into little chunks. She can and does eat almost anything all the time. She would eat constantly if she could.
She can ride in the shopping cart like a big girl. No more lugging that massive baby carrier into the store! However, now most of my shopping time is taken up by trying to block her from sucking on the shopping cart. I'll put my hand in the way to block her mouth, and she'll just sit there and bite it. Don't worry, germ-aphobes, it just builds character. And we try to disinfect often.
She loves her toys! This is how we spend a lot of our days.
She still scoot/crawls on one foot and one knee. She's pretty fast.

She is beginning to understand that sounds have associations to things. Meaning, she knows that when I say 'dada' I mean Roo. When I talk about 'dada' she'll look at Roo or crawl to him. When he comes home from work or gets her out of her crib, she says 'dadadad'. I wouldn't say it's her first word quite yet, because it's more like babble, and because she also says 'dadada' when Roo isn't around, but I can tell she's learning. It's very cute.

When I sing Popcorn Popping to her, she has learned to open and close her little hands to mimic my hand actions during the song. A small thing to most people, but to her mother it is amazing to see her develop like that.

To sum up her personality:
  • Determined
  • Enthusiastic
  • Happy (everywhere we go, people comment on how happy she is. She smiles at everyone and loves people.)
  • Demanding
  • Smart
  • Energetic--she's always on the move and rarely wants to sit still or be cuddled.
  • Funny
I can't imagine possibly loving her more than I do now, but I bet by month eleven she'll make it possible.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I love your updates. I can just see Esmé doing everything you describe. She is so adorable and yes, by month 11 you will love her even more!

Deja said...

Wow, I am fascinated by that development stuff, too, especially the words/sounds/meaning part. She's lovely and smart and so are you.

Amy said...

Oh, she is just as darling as can be. I'm so glad you do updates, especially since we only seem to skype when she is asleep.

Dangcutekids said...

I think that Esmé is a little ahead of the game. She's so mobile and talking and has so much HAIR! Image your love when she's eleven years old, it's epic. You're such a fabulous mom (and dad Roo!)