Monday, May 23, 2011

A Case of Mistaken Identity?

There have been three strange occurrences of mistaken identity in my life lately.

First, about six months ago, I received an email that went something like this:

Dear Allison,
Thank you for your interest in (some kind of job opening...I forget what it was). We will contact you once we review your resume.

I thought, hmm that was weird. Someone must've mixed up my email address with this Allison person. Oh well. Delete. Then periodically over the next six months, I would receive email alerts for various job openings and automatic 'thank you for applying' response-type emails from some employment website that were meant for this Allison person. It was annoying, so I'd just delete them.

Then about two months ago, I got an email that went something like this:

Dear Windycitygirl,

Thank you for registering on Match.com. You're gonna love using our website (or something like that) Click this link to update your profile and view your matches. (Followed by a bunch of login and profile information.)

I thought, uhh, that's weird. I didn't register for Match.com, and if I did I certainly wouldn't have chosen the username 'Windycitygirl'. Wanting the issue to just go away, I deleted the email. However, almost everyday for the following months, I would receive email updates from Match.com telling me that 47 men had viewed my profile today. Or that SexyAbs2000 wants to flirt with me. I had no idea why I was getting these emails. There must have been some kind of mistake. Having been winked at by one too many Match.com males (or so my daily emails would inform me) I decided to see if I could log in to this profile and see why I was getting these emails. It seemed someone (Windycitygirl) had mistakenly entered my email address when creating the profile. She probably just had to create a new profile when she couldn't get in using her own email address, and here I was, the recipient of her Match.com flirtations from her first failed profile attempt. Realizing that I had full access to this person's profile and account and, had I wished, could have masqueraded as her on the website, I got overburdened by the invasion of privacy and unsubscribed to the emails. Weird.

Finally, last Saturday while we were watching a movie at home, I received the following text message from a strange number I've never seen before in my life:

'I like u back then. Corey didn't deserve u. And when he wasn't making u happy I wanted to.'

Whoa. I'm flattered and all, but who the heck is Corey?

Then an hour later from the same number (a Tennessee area code, we found out):

'K have fun'

It took a lot of self discipline to not text back something like, 'I want u to make me happy. Can u come over tonite?' But while I was laughing about it, I began to wonder if something strange is going on.

You know how some medications make people do things they can't remember, like driving forklifts at night. Then they wake up and have no idea why they have a forklift on their patio. Or how some people live secret double lives. What if I am not only living a double life, but a quadruple life?! During the day I am Annie the housewife, but at night I am alternately Allison the unemployed; Windycitygirl the lonely; and someone who should have known better than to let Corey mistreat them so.

That might be the only explanation for these strange events.

Yikes.

6 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Wow. Any one of those might just be unusual, but taken together, it is just weird. I'm sure Roo has something to do with this.

Rosanne said...

Well obviously. That's the only reason it could be like that. PS I liked Roo's drawing of Esme..."cause she's small in real life." hahahahahha.
Also, thanks for your comments on my blog. they help me out a TON

Amy said...

Strange things are happening...maybe you should set up some sort of camera that attaches to your body at night and see what activities you are up to...

Lynn said...

These are freaky events. We live in a whacked out world. I would be worried, good thing you are not me.

Peter said...

Annie, great post. Any time I used a one of the computer labs at BYU and someone had not signed out of messenger, I would take over, normally telling some stranger that I hated them, and they know what they did. You have more control than I did in those days.

WhitParks said...

Annie! That was SO entertaining! I loved it. How crazy is all that! Does it make you feel better that there is some other Anne or Annie out there who has been bombarded with our book club info. Wouldn't that have been weird if she would've crashed our book club, I mean we did email out our address and time and all!