Thursday, February 11, 2010

Five Months



This is a photo of me five months pregnant.

It was taken after a long day at work, and initially, I was tempted to make a few narrative criticisms about the way I look in the picture, but I was stopped by a pressing thought that's been growing inside me, as if parallel to the growth of my baby: the body is a miracle. So why are we taught to acknowledge our physical imperfections to the world? Why are we compelled to point out our flaws? Every second, my body is putting on a grand production of intricate processes that keep me alive and without me consciously instructing it how to do so. My body tells me when to drink, it tells me when to sleep, it tells me when I've had enough cookie dough for one night, and it keeps me breathing. For every imperfection I perceive in my body, there are a million perfected processes that keep me living. And now, it is forming from scratch an entirely new person inside me who represents hope and purpose and direction. How, then, can I be anything but thankful for my body, frizzy hair and all?

13 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

Well said, Annie! So true. I'm still astonished at the body. My own and my little guys that i can't quite comprehend how I made.

Mike + Mo said...

Yeah, I totally agree with ya there! BUT I'm actually jealous that your hair does that. It does not look frizzy in the slightest. Very Cute!

Deja said...

It's true, you are lovely in ADDITION to automatically breathing. Bonus.

But also, this is lovely. Thanks for the reminder.

Amy said...

What a wonderful post. And you look beautiful.

Kathie said...

I think there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman.

Michelle and Nels said...

Annie you look great!!! So cute! I'm so excited for you guys. Yes I'm blog stalking you, it happens:)

TJ said...

Beautiful, you and your words.

Roo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roo said...

What do you mean that the baby is "forming from scratch?" You know, Anakin was formed "from scratch."

Emily said...

Amen! But you still are a beautiful pregnant lady, perfect basketball belly and all. And thanks, Roo, for the laugh.

Katie E. said...

Annie, that's beautiful. Yea for hope, purpose, and direction.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Wait until you see little feet kicking out the side of your stomach. It is so cool no matter how many times it happens. Although, I still feel huge, it makes me feel better when there is a purpose behind it all.

John-Maren Goodman said...

Very powerful words, and as true as if it were scripture! You are really glowing and looking soo Beautiful! The belly is looking adorable and hopefully baby is growing and healthy~ I'm Still just as excited as the day you announced you were pregnant~