Friday, August 28, 2009

Lessons to be Learned

On my first day back to work, I was getting settled back into my workspace and but kept noticing an annoying smell that was difficult to locate. It smelled like pee—and as I looked around, I was mystified as to where the stench was coming from. Had a dog been in my office, or a drunk person, or did I have mice? Awhile later, in [what I thought was] an unrelated event, I looked at my shirt to find a large, light stain which I hadn’t noticed before. I was mildly annoyed to think I was wearing a dirty shirt. A few hours later, I was getting extremely frustrated by the stench. Where on earth was it coming from?! And then in a stroke of brilliance, I looked at the stain on my shirt and hesitantly held it up to sniff it. Yep, it was a pee stain courtesy of Chase the dog. I don’t know when he did it, probably at some point during the move when it was out…And so for the whole day, I reeked of urine.

Lesson 1: Don’t leave your clothes out where your potty-challenged dog can mar them with his urine unless you want your boss to think you are a slovenly, hygienically-inept bum.

Next, yesterday we decided to re-format our hard drive. We saved everything we thought mattered and erased everything else. And then we remembered we forgot to save our pictures…all of them. Except for some which had been saved in other locations, most of our pictures from the last five years were lost in the netherworld of cyber-limbo. To sum up my response: crying.

Lesson 2: Don’t forget to back-up your pictures somewhere else. Do it now! Stop reading this and go do it.

And be thankful you have me to teach you these lessons rather than learning them yourself the hard way.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I better keep a close watch on our clothes lying about.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Dude. Everything about that post sucked. Sorry. Except for the writing.