Tuesday, February 17, 2009

All We Wanna Do Is Rock...

Here is a picture of our band, MIMIC, at our first gig:

[Left to right]: Dieter, Bors, Annie, Sven, and Roo


Okay, here are the real pictures:

Here are Jesse (lead singer), Roo (bass player), and Ryan (lead guitar) rocking the cultural hall at the ward Valentine's dance. Jason also rocked on the drums and I am the token female keyboard player. We had a pretty good turn out and I think everyone had a blast. We were happy to see the dance floor full for the entire evening.

Here I am trying to figure out how to play the keyboard.

We are called Mimic because we only play covers of songs. Our set list includes everything from Van Morrison and Roy Orbison to Weezer, Green Day, Coldplay, Tom Petty, The Strokes, Billy Idol, Cindy Lauper and more. Basically, if we all can say, "Hey, that's a cool song" then we'll play it.

Sometimes they make me--I mean, they let me sing. This is me performing the heck out of "I'm Just A Girl" by No Doubt. I am still perfecting my Gwen Stephani swagger. I also plan to do push ups while singing like she does...one step at a time, though.

Highlights of the evening include:

  • When they asked us if we could just turn the music down, for the older crowd.
  • When the oldest man in the room did the Charleston or some other Depression-Era dance to The Clash
  • Getting paid in junior bacon cheesburgers

We sure had fun! All we need to do now is trash a hotel room and crash our tour bus and we'll be full-fledged rock n' roll stars.

P.S. if you are looking for a (relatively inexpensive) live band, we are up to playing anywhere, anytime. Just let me know!

5 comments:

Deja said...

Wahoo!! Love it.

John-Maren Goodman said...

Wow the rocker inside you has finally started to come out!!! GO ANNIE! Sounds like a fun hobby for you and your Hubby!! I'm jealous!! Fun, Fun. John and I will be home for family home evening in march. Maybe you can perform for us.

Lynn said...

Hey, I was there, cut yourself some slack! you did great on your solo! It really was fun too! Thanks for inviting us. Hope we get to see you at other venues.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I should quit my job at Raytheon and join the band. I could live off of junior bacon cheeseburgers.

Jesse C said...

Everyone in the band will now refer to me as Dieter. Let's be blog friends.