Friday, October 12, 2012

The Newest Member of the Family


My faithful 15-year-old electronic piano that had journeyed with us so many miles, did not adapt well to British voltage. In fact, it got killed by it. When we tried to plug it in and turn it on, it made a dying whine and never turned on again. I was so sad. However, as fate would have it, we live just around the corner from a piano shop that sells lovely used pianos. One day we went in to browse--that also happened to be my lucky day, because I ended up with this:


Dark wood, perfectly weighted keys, made in England, and lovely as can be.

In the evenings, after we've cleaned up dinner and gotten everyone in their jammies, Roo mandates that all children have to leave me alone so I can play the piano for at least ten minutes. My skills are rusty and my fingers fumble, but I couldn't be more pleased.


Some other recent advances:

Esme has discovered the joy of cuddling. She even asks to cuddle with Penny. Penny takes a bit of convincing to participate. (Because usually she ends up being pushed away by the head.)



Esme has also discovered pockets. She digs through the coin jar for "money" to put in her pockets. She likes money in her pockets. She's a lot like her father in that way. She also prefers to keep her fruit snacks in there.

Penny has learned to sit up on her own, eat rice cereal, and master the ways of the Force. (You can't see it in this picture, but she's actually raising a space ship out of a swamp right here.)


5 comments:

Kathie said...

oh I am so jealous of your piano! What a good husband Roo is.
I like having money in my pockets too. Unfortunately I never do.

Grannie G said...

So happy you have a piano again. I remember many proud moments at your recitals. You seemed to learn so fast. Now Esme and Penny will both be able to learn from you. Bless Roo!

Dangcutekids said...

Annie it makes me cry to see that you have a piano, and I love even more that Roo makes you practice everyday. May the spirit of music lift you and your amazingly sweet family. What a precious addition!

Lynn said...

I am also very pleased that your family! I hope that Esmé will still love to cuddle in December and I will get to participate. Penny makes a pretty cute Jedi knight, and with that adorable face why wouldn't the force want to always be with her.

Focus On Kids Pediatrics said...

Aww, Penny looks so cute! I’d love to cuddle her. It’s great that she can now sit up on her own. How old is she? Well, make sure you watch over her whenever she sits because she might not able to handle her weight very well, and she would fall that way.

*Logan Rojas