Thursday, March 22, 2012

Updates

Update #1

Did you know we're moving to England? A month ago there was not even a whisper of a hint of a prospect that this could ever happen. We were living contentedly in Houston. Paying our mortgage. Hanging curtains. Bracing for summer. We even bought a nice new bookcase to fill the empty wall in the living room so we could clear out all our packed up books. And I believe it was the same day we placed the final book on the bookshelf, stood back, and admired our commitment to this place that the opportunity to leave it all behind showed up unexpectedly.

Roo had the chance to either take a new job at a new company here in Houston or stay with the current company and transfer to England. For about a week and a half we talked pros and cons and I tried to wrap my mind around even the thought of living abroad. But I think the decision was already made the second the opportunity presented itself. We chose England. This will be our ninth move in eight years, ending our longest streak of permanent residence anywhere of almost two years.  Yet another uprooting, especially one so unexpected, is going to be a bit tough for me. And we have mountains of logistics when it comes to travel arrangements (obtaining visas, passports for kids, etc.) and selling our house and everything else that goes along with a foreign move to deal with.

By all rights, I should be overwhelmed, and most of the time when I think about it, I am. However, all stressful logistics aside, I think we all know that not going for this would have only left us with a long, hot Houston summer of wondering "what if?"

We plan to leave the US in the middle of June and live about 30 miles south of London for three years. And we plan to love it.

Update #2

At my 36 week appointment this week, Baby Girl was tipping the scales at 8 lbs already. I should have known based on how many people exclaim how huge I look, and on how I feel like I'm going to tip over all the time. The ultrasound technician had to make sure there weren't actually two people in there (there weren't...just one jumbo baby). But I've still got almost four weeks to go, and Baby has four weeks to grow even bigger. What this means is that we're all hoping she decides to make a sudden appearance very soon, otherwise she'll be so big that we may either have to coax her out (via induction) or cut her out (via c-section).

Update #3

Esmé has moved on from her crib and now sleeps in a pink plastic bed that has princesses on it. We're very proud.

9 comments:

jim said...

Wow! What an adventure you guys. I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Karen said...

We are so excited for you guys and personally know of one family who is very excited to come visit you, which I will be more than happy to help with.

Lynn said...

I can't wait to see the pink princess bed, and the little princess that sleeps in said bed(and of course her mommy princess and daddy prince too!).

Amy said...

So many exciting things happening in your lives! We can't wait to see you soon and feel lucky that we will get to visit you before you move!

Brad and Erica said...

That's funny, because we are on our way back stateside in June. Maybe we'll cross paths mid-atlantic. We only planned on coming overseas for 3 years and stayed for almost 5. I'm still feeling a bit sad about leaving. You guys are going to love it! I'd like to think that our girls are better for the experience of living in Europe as well. What great adventures you will have!

Deja said...

Congrats on the move! Congrats on the enormous baby! (Aren't you much too small to birth such an enormous baby? I'm worried for you ...)

Kathie said...

I am so excited for you guys! The awesome move, the new baby that is so close to coming, and the big girl bed. Good luck with that last one. :)
Maybe we will get to come visit you guys, but if not, I am excited to read about your adventures.

Emily said...

Again, So excited for you guys to go to England. And on the ultrasound, I'm wishing you best of luck but have to say elizabeth measured over 7 lbs before I was due and she ended up coming two weeks late and was still only 6 lbs 12 oz. So I don't give those ultrasound estimations much credit. You'll be fine. Your body was made to do this! Go Annie!

Dangcutekids said...

Congratulations in so many ways. We are thrilled about the new baby, the move and of course the new bed. We will be praying for you. We know a little bit about some of the chaos in your lives, I can't imagine doing it all, with a bran new little sweetheart. You two are awesome parents. What an amazing opportunity this will be for your family!