Thursday, January 19, 2012

An Update on Baby ... Boy?

Here I am with baby, at just about 7 months along:



The baby is doing well. However, there has been some speculation that she is actually a he. Let me explain. On three separate occasions, I have had women (strangers) come up to me and make the following observation:

Strange woman [in foreign accent]: Oh, you are expecting!

Annie: Yep.

Strange woman: So, I see you are having a boy. [This isn't said as a question. They say it as if they can see the man-child himself hanging out in my tummy.]

The first time it happened, I just assumed the lady was crazy. I didn't know what I was having yet, so I just thought she was confused and backed away. But then it happened again! Another lady remarked, just by looking at my tummy, that I must surely be having a boy. By then I knew it was a girl and I told her so. When she asked if I was sure, I reassured her that that's what the latest scientific advances in ultrasound technology told me, so...I thought she was crazy and backed away. The third time, my waitress remarked that I should be excited to be having a boy. What!? I told her the baby was a girl, and again she acted politely incredulous. Apparently, the way that I am carrying the baby has all the hallmarks of it being a boy.

Does my baby bump look especially boyish to you?

So now I'm not sure! Can I trust the technology? Just as a side note, I noticed that the first lady was Hispanic, the second was a Romanian, and the third was an Iranian, so I'm wondering if they all possess some kind of ancient Old-World sorcery that allows them to read the human body even better than an ultrasound machine...  (However, I did notice the baby kicking a lot while we watched The Bachelor, so I thought that could be an indication that she is a she...unless they were kicks of dismay, which could mean he is a he!) I don't know what to believe anymore!

In the end, I guess if the baby comes out a boy, I won't be completely surprised now. I'll just tell the nurses that a Romanian already told me so.



10 comments:

sarahandmike said...

I don't know...I told Angela that I could only picture you having a boy next (until you said it was a girl). And even if those kicks are kicks of dismay, don't rule her out as being a girl. I still kick my mom from time to time for watching the bachelor.

Rick and Eden said...

Well, I think it's because you are carrying the baby so low. I will tell you that we had friends in Whittier that were told they were having a girl (had a huge pink baby shower) and she was shocked when the baby was born and it was a boy...so I know it can happen.

Lynn said...

This is disconcerting because, not being from foreign parts or having access to old world sorcery, I too thought you were having a boy... Oh well, I bought girl clothes for unnamed baby girl, so she will be expecting a girl.

Amy said...

Does it make you want to get a baby boy outfit...just in case?

I wouldn't believe what the Romanian said...Romanians also think garlic is a cure-all and that a current passing through will get you sick. :-)

Amy said...

First thing's first, this is Jordan.
There is really only one way to find out for sure, no old world sorcery, or new world sorcery for that matter: by some means (blockbuster, netflix, other method of feature film delivery) acquire the movie Tremors. You can try it with Tremors 2-8 or is it 9?, but the results are not guaranteed with the sequels. Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Get your hands on Tremors. Turn the volume up and...oh wait, nevermind. This is just what you can look forward to WHEN you have a boy, not how to determine IF you will have a boy. "That's what I like, GRABOIDS!"

Amy said...

P.S. (this is Amy now) You look fabulous!

Emily Wright said...

They probably think you're having a boy because you're carrying low. If it is a boy then the Wright grandchild pattern would continue as normal - and we think we're having a girl, so it would work (although no type of scorcery has told us). We'll send you some of E's clothes if needed at the last moment.

Michael said...

Emily is mistaken on "the Pattern", your boy will undo the current pattern. We want a chance to be the pattern wreckers.

Emily said...

i carried low, too and everyone and their romanian mother thought it was a boy. but elizabeth SO isn't a boy. i just carry low.

Dangcutekids said...

HOW FUNNY. Don't you love how pregnancy bring total strangers far too close together. Just kick them and run. I always wanted to wear a sign when I was pregnant that said "just say congratulations, and walk away." You do look darling!