Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lost in Translation

 Esmé is almost 19 months old and speaking in full sentences. This is a pretty big accomplishment for someone who still can't put on her own socks; the only problem with her constant and often loud talking is that her sentences consist mostly of just one word: BAH.

Asking a question: Bah bah bah baaaaaaaaaahhh?
Making a statement: Baaaaaah bah bah bah bah bah baaaah baaahhhh.
Demanding something: BAAAH BAAAH BAAAH BAAAH BAAAAAAAAAHHHH! (This one is accompanied by unrelenting pointing at something)

Occasionally, she'll pepper her conversation with a few other favorite words:

"Bah BAAAAH baah bah ee-i-o ee-i-o ee-i-o?!" This means she wants to watch Baby Einstein. Sometimes it also means she wants a drink of water.

"Dadda, mama, Tutu, Papa, Naaaaa, a dog, knee! knee!" This is what I hear over the monitor when she's supposed to be napping.

And probably her second most favorite word: "Cracker? Cracker? Cracker? Cracker? Cracker?" She repeats it continuously, growing in urgency until she's achieved her goal. I say, "Do you want a cracker?"

"YEEAAAH! (Another favorite word)

Yet when I offer her the cracker, she'll shake her head and say, "No no no."

So I ask, "Then what do you want?"

"A baaahhh."

Sometimes I feel like if I hear one more BAH during the day, my head is going to explode! So I hope she learns English soon, because I'm sure our lack of communication is frustrating to both of us sometimes.

She sure is cute, though!

Here she is with "Yo-bah". He's wearing Esmé's white "bahs" on his feet. And they're sitting in her "bah". (By the way, if you think we're grooming Esmé to be a major nerd because she plays with Yoda dolls, you're right. However, she also enjoys putting on pretend makeup and blow-drying her hair, so at least she'll be an attractive nerd.)
Here she is wearing a purple "bah" in her hair.



 In my opinion, Esmé is generally a sweet, happy, smart little girl. She actually knows lots of words  (though she doesn't use them all in conversation) and is very vocal. She is very social and loves to interact with anyone--whoever happens to sit behind us in church can attest to that. She adjusts pretty well to new situations--she started nursery at church and though she'll cry when we leave, she can tough it out until the end and even tells us that she likes going.

She is extremely determined to get what she wants in life. Like her father. She inherited what I like to call the "Roo-conniving" gene, which allows her to cleverly maneuver her way into getting what she wants. This actually can work to my benefit, because I can easily leverage things she wants to make her obey. And usually she will be agreeable and compliant. Like her mother.

She is so full of energy and life and a little a lot of craziness. She could climb and run and jump all day, as long as she's got a good supply of crackers. I think the pictures below best sum up this aspect of her personality:



We love you, Esmé!!

7 comments:

Roo said...

"Roo-conniving" was coined by Heather when I used to live with the Gwilliams. Jim would go ask her if the family could go out for dinner, and she would instantly know that minutes before I had asked Jim to ask his her that. I guess it was such common practice that she decided it needed a name.

Grannie G said...

Delightful pictures of Esme and comments by Annie! How wonderful it is to watch develop day-to-day. I like the rooconiving. You should submit it to Webster.

Amy said...

She looks so grown up in these pictures! I can't wait to see you guys in a few months and actually interact with her!

Lynn said...

Loaded with personality that's our Esmé. I imagine when she really can speak English she will probably keep you hopping even more.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Love it!! Especially the conversation about crackers. It's like you were writing a conversation I had with Sadie. Can't wait to see her again.

Lizzie Jones said...

I love your daughter. I haven't ever met her but I just adore her. Mostly because you love her, partly because of the way you write about it and all because she's adorable.

Here's to baby #2 being just as cute!

jordan said...

Judas Hannover Priest she looks like she's 4! Roo informed me that Judas's middle name is Hannover. We we come out can get a bah? And I don't want to see any bahs on my bah. Just a request. Had a good laugh, thanks Annie for the post.