Thursday, June 30, 2011

One Year

Our girl has gone from this (June 29, 2010):


...to this (yesterday):
There was ample reason to celebrate having made it one whole year together! Some days have been exciting, some have been boring, some have felt never-ending, and others unforgettable. But I feel truly blessed to have spent every single one of those days with my girl! And the fact that she has survived with us in charge of her is reason enough to celebrate!

Though we do miss having our family here to celebrate with us, we did get to open presents via Skype with them. Here's Esmé's package from Tutu's and Aunt Natalee.

On Sunday, we had dinner with our friends, the Parkers, and ate a little birthday cake.

Here is Esmé with her first boyfriend. I think that's pretty impressive to already have a boyfriend by one year old. It took until about 17 for me to get one.One more round of opening presents via Skype with Grandma and Grandpa Wright:



The night before her birthday, Roo and I were watching The Return of the King, and I couldn't help comparing how Frodo felt while climbing up Mount Doom to how I felt the night I was giving birth to our little Esmé. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. But of course it was worth the difficulty. We love our little girl so much more than we could ever have imagined a year ago! She amazes us every day!

6 comments:

Roo said...

Given the choice, I would take a Morgul blade to the shoulder over giving childbirth. But I'm glad you had the courage to bring us Esme!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday sweet Esmé! Looks like you guys had fun celebrating. You both are amazing parents and Esmé is such a lucky little girl!

Lynn said...

I was eye witness to the ordeal you suffered, Annie, to bring Esmé into this world and it was unreal, but truly she is worth it! We love her and her parents! Thanks for being her perfect parents.

Peter said...

Annie, I love reading your blog. Esme is darling, and you are a great mom.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

She is a cutie!!

Grannie G said...

The first year of life brings such amazing changes. Esme grows more adorable with each day. I love her smiling eyes! She is blessed to have two wonderful parents.