Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

Maybe you didn't plan to find yourself where you are today when you were young.

But for me, understanding your life and your experiences and the man you became has taught me something important. It hasn't taught me the importance of being a wealthy person. It hasn't taught me the importance of being a prestigious or fashionable person. Your life has taught me what it means to be a good person.

A good person loves people for who they are, not for what they do or have done. He especially loves those who don't seem to earn many other peoples' affections. I've never met anyone as undiscriminating in their genuine love for people as you--even the unconventional people and the hard-luck people. You're willing to take a walk in their shoes.

A good person is tender and kind. He is honest and fair.

A good person sacrifices his time and energy to provide for his family.
A good person is resourceful and hard working. There is nothing more noble than a hard-working man, regardless of the color of his collar. No one works as hard as you do. And you are good at it! It is your heritage.
A good person has dreams and passions and talents. He contributes to the world with his ideas. You create beauty with your hands from rough sheets of lumber. You use your time and energy to beautify our homes with pieces that are uniquely yours. And I don't think you do it for the money...

A good person likes to learn about the world. You may claim to not have enough education, but I will never believe it because you are one of the most intelligent, knowledgeable, informed people I have ever known. I love to learn about the things I do because you first showed them to me.

A good person is humble and considerate. He sets these qualities above ambition, power, and worldly pursuits. He is not too busy to for anyone.

A good person does not need the praise of the world to do a good job. You are a born leader. No matter your position, people will follow you because they can tell you are a good person who knows what he's talking about. You're not a phony.

A good person will listen to rock n' roll and occasionally laugh at the Simpsons with his kids. He is their father, but he knows how to be their friend, too.

A good person forgives their sons for knocking a hole in the wall, he forgives my dog for jumping on his bed while he's trying to sleep. He tries to forgive those who may not deserve his forgiveness.

A good person does not have to be a perfect person.

So if you ever question whether you will ever be the kind of man you wanted to become when you were young, from what I can tell, you are already there. You are the kind of man other men admire. And your daughter admires you too.

And you have many more years to become even better, to make new goals and to do the things you haven't had a chance to yet.

Happy birthday, dad! I love you!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday to Joel! I haven't know him as long as Annie but as far as I can tell it's all true!

E.Maxine.Wright said...

Love you, Joel! You really are one of the greatest men I have ever known. Simply amazing.

sarahmichael said...

Your dad really is one of the very BEST.

Grannie G said...

I ditto everything you said Annie. Joel has been a wonderful son to us and is truly a great man. My wish is for Joel to have many wonderful years with Lynn and the rest of your "team"!