Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Recommendation

I never really believed the line that "one person can make a difference." But this book may have changed my mind. It is about a man who, after failing to climb K2, befriends the people of a Pakistani village and promises to one day build them a school. Even though when he returns to America he is broke and living out of his car, he decides to fulfill his promise. After many failures, his efforts slowly begin to pay off. And after ten years of work, his efforts gain incredible momentum and make historical progress in educating the children, particularly the girls, of Pakistan and later Afghanistan. In the trauma and aftermath of 9/11, he uses his effort to educate as his own war against terror--not eradicating terrorism with bombs, but using books to educate the younger generation of Muslim people and provide them with opportunities, success, and a wider world view. And he did it all because he genuinely loved the people--he loved them as human beings and he valued and respected their unique culture. I think it presents the people and religion of Pakistan and Afghanistan in a realistic, complex, and positive way that is rarely, if ever, emphasized in popular media.

It genuinely made me feel overwhelmed with gratitude for what I have been given in life. I found myself hungry to help someone else, love someone else, after reading this book. I definitely recommend it--especially if you've been feeling sorry for yourself lately, or don't believe one person can make a difference.

You can find out more about it at:
http://www.threecupsoftea.com/

3 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I loved this book. I read it for my Book Group last year and it was one of the few books I actually liked.

Lynn said...

I borrowed Grannie's book a long time ago, and just never got around to reading it. I am now motivated to do so. Besides I should probably return it soon or she will forget that she owns it.

Jesse C said...

That looks really good. I'll have to check it out.