Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Phillips' School of Sophistication

Lesson 2: Celebrating Your Heritage

There is really no more effective way of celebrating our western American heritage than by wearing period clothing and selling homemade handicrafts over the weekend. Knowing this, Roo planned a fun and educational weekend outing for us. (He agreed to tell me what it was only on the condition that once I found out, I absolutely had to go.) Who could say no to the Mountain Man Rendezvous and Black Powder Fun Shoot?!

Obviously, the ideal place for a Mountain Man Rendezvous and Black Powder Fun Shoot is Tooele, Utah--there's not much else going on to distract the masses. We know this for a fact because we drove through most of the town trying to find the dang rendezvous. Thankfully, we followed the example of our mountain men ancestors and we did not give up and go home. We followed the pick-up trucks and soon Tee-pees appeared on the horizon.


It is clear that those enjoying themselves the most are the people who came prepared--they are wearing holsters, feathers, and dead animals over their jeans and Lake Powell T-shirts. These are usually the folks selling their wares in the tents set up throughout the park. Unfortunately, Roo left his chaps in the car, and my pantaloons were at the dry cleaners.



It's best to keep your animals away from the Mountain Man Rendezvous. We brought Lando, but he was scared the whole time. He cowered in the corner and panted really hard. Then I figured out why--apparently, real mountain men kill Corgis and turn them into leather man-purses to store their chewing tobacco and buffalo chips. This man is wearing the last Corgi to come to the rendezvous. Poor Lando.



I bought this necklace from a squaw. She told me it was real glass from the 1920's. I suspect she stole it off a dead pioneer and would have offered the scalp at a bargain if I bought one more necklace.

(Okay, the squaw was acutally a 13 year old white girl dressed like an indian. Still, the magic is in the pretense...I'm sure this guy would agree. I had to be careful taking his picture. Rendezvous folk are might wary of modern apparatuses like cameras...and Nikes.

We had a good time at the rendezvous. I'd recommend it to the adventurous. It will leave you with a lifetime's worth of memories...or at least a couple of huge glass bottles of homemade root beer.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Those darn dry cleaners for not getting your pantaloons...maybe you should see if they will give you a coupon for next time or something.

Deja said...

Your poor puppy!

The poor man-purse!

I'm learning so much a this school of sophistication.

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Thanks for the lesson. I almost feel like I was there. Oh should I say...I felled like I were there.

TJ said...

Sounds like a hoot howlerin' good time

Katie E. said...

I've never felt so sophisticated in my life! This is a great series you absolutely must continue.

P.S. Your cameo is beautiful and I'm jealous!

Rosanne said...

Annie it's Rosanne! I just read some of your blog...okay only the posts on this main page but it looks like you and Roo are having such a good time! I assume you found a place? How's that?