Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Swell Season

Ever since seeing the movie Once, I had fallen in love with the music of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. And ever since Roo fell in love with me, he's been willing to do lots of things that I find interesting. So when we found out that Glen and Marketa's band, The Swell Season, was coming to SLC, we bought tickets within minutes. 

On May 2nd, after meeting up with our friends Sarah and Drew for a yummy Cheesecake Factory dinner, we all went to the concert together. Thankfully, I was old enough to get into the club...:) Because we were only a few rows back from the stage! The music was absolutely amazing! And even though the guy standing in front of me seemed like he was at least 6' 4" and 300 lbs, and I had to do a lot of straining and standing on my tip toes to see anything, it was still one of the best shows I've ever seen. These people are REAL musicians. They played all the songs we knew and a few that we didn't (but that we love now), and one of our favorite parts was when the whole band sang a Bob Dylan song "Forever Young" as a fantastic final number.  We had such a great time! We saw IRONMAN after the movie, and needless to say, it didn't quite compare to the concert. Maybe I'm just not big on battling superhero robots--or maybe The Swell Season was just a really hard act to follow. 

No comments: