Friday, January 18, 2013

Boxing Day on Salisbury Plain

Here are some photos of our outing to Stonehenge on Boxing Day. It was about an 1.5 hour drive and thankfully the weather held long enough for us to take a walk around the perimeter of the stones, though it was very, very cold and surprisingly crowded.

Esmé was really impressed with the "Big Rocks" as she calls them. But we were freezing and hungry so we hurried another 20 minutes into Salisbury. We ate a yummy Italian lunch then walked through town to the cathedral. Salisbury cathedral boasts the tallest spire in England. It was impressive. These massive churches always take my breath away. We also stopped by the house where some scenes from Sense and Sensibility we filmed. Of course we had to watch the movie when we got home.

We made it back to the car just in time for the rain to come pouring down. It didn't stop for the two hours it took to get home. It was a long, wet excursion, but we saw a lot of amazing countryside and we were all duly impressed.
















4 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow, what an awesome excursion. I can't believe I was really there! Esmé and Penny are such good travelers. I love Penny's smile in the pictures at Stonehenge. It was so cold, but she was just happy to be there.

Deja said...

Beauty! I miss those big rocks and big churches.

And this is a side question: I have that very same car seat! And! I'm irritated by how small the canopy thing is. It looks like you have an additional something to cover Penny? Can you tell me what sort of object that might be? I'm always worrying about HP not being nearly covered enough.

Emily Wright said...

I love the smiley pictures of Penny at Stonehenge.

Grannie G said...

Wonderful pictures of you all. I love seeing England through the lens of your camera. You do a great job! Penny and Esme`are adorable as usual