Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Brief Report

 

We have arrived in England. I can hardly believe it. Sometimes I get used to the idea and sort of forget, then we start driving and almost get broadsided in a roundabout and I remember, Oh yeah! we're in England!

First off, despite my smile above, I was totally terrified to fly with my babies across the ocean. Thankfully, though, it went well due in large part to Roo who countered my mania by being cool as a cucumber, or more so if that's possible. We were walking down the jetway when the reality of our situation hit me and I had to start blinking back the tears. We got settled in our seats, took off, then the baby started fussing and the tears got tougher and tougher to hold back. I could tell Roo was watching me, but I didn't want to look like I was falling apart. But, good man that he is, he insisted on taking the baby and went and stood by the lavatories for a long time until she fell asleep, much to the dismay of Steven, the flight attendant. I just loved him (Roo, not Steven) so much right then. I also thought, what a better way to spend father's day than for him to be confined for nine hours with his two crying babies! Meanwhile, our guardian angels, Roo's parents, were corralling Esmé (a feat!) on their row. They all saved my life and I feel so so so blessed!

Then we got to England and I couldn't stop smiling. I'd kept my expectations really low so I wouldn't be disappointed, but that hasn't been a problem--it is gorgeous, lovely, and delightful for the most part. The countryside is heaven. We are staying in a temporary house until we move into our permanent place, and it has this nice conservatory (it's pronounced 'conservatree') where we enjoy the English weather.

 One day we got lost on a drive through the country and ended up passing through more lovely scenery than I even realized existed. Rolling hills, stone churches, soft blossoming bushes, hedgerows, great trees, picturesque farms and estates. Unlike getting lost in Houston, not once did I fear we might get jumped.

We've done LOTS of house hunting. Today we finally found a place, and to celebrate we ate dinner at a lovely old roadside pub--very chic/18th century-highwayman feel to it, exposed beams, union jacks etc.

England is as lovely as I could have hoped. The truth is, though, at night when things are all quiet we miss our family and friends and the feeling of security that comes with being at home. Right now we're still in the process of establishing 'home' again and that can be a bit scary. So can driving. But that's all part of the adventure, I guess.








5 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful report! I can't wait for more!

Lynn said...

What a great start of your adventure. You are going to need to take your camera everywhere so we can see all the picturesque places you see. Can't wait to come see it all ourselves.

Grannie G said...

Every time I think of you actually in England I have to read another Georgette Heyer book. Silly me! Know you will have many wonderful adventures there. Can't wait to hear about them. Love you all :~))

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

So glad the flight wasn't too terrible. I would be scared to do that as well. I can't wait to hear about all your adventures in England. It sounds wonderful so far.

The Marcons said...

What an exciting adventure! Like everyone else, I can't wait to hear more. I dream of going to England one day.