Monday, March 14, 2011

Kemah!

I feel this picture best sums up our emotional state at the end of the week:

A little bit crazy. A little bit Gary Busey-esque, if you will.

So on Saturday morning we decided to do as the Houstonians do and take in some springtime cheer at the seaside. But in order to do that, we also had to do as the Houstonians do and drive one hour through the Gotham-like cityscape of oil refineries on the way to the coast. After we passed through the dark land of the refineries, we arrived at Kemah, which has a lively boardwalk with lovely sea views and a carnival atmosphere. We ate lunch on the deck of a Mexican restaurant right next to the water.




(I borrowed the previous two pictures from the internet to give you a better idea of the place.)

In this picture I may look like I'm admiring the scenery, but I was actually staring unabashedly and eavesdropping on the conversation of two (very young) tattooed kids next to me who were drinking beer and smoking and talking about their partying/video gaming exploits, and I was wondering, what happened to your parents? It's probably a sad story.

I find I'm at my most judgmental when I'm in a carnival setting.


The weather was warm, the air thick and salty with a steady sea breeze. It felt distinctly Southern. It felt good to be out of doors.


A lazy afternoon in the warm South. You can almost hear the lonely banjo plucking away in the distance. Somebody get this girl a straw hat and a fishing pole!

3 comments:

TJ said...

We went there the summer we lived in Houston. Have you been to the zoo yet? I really like, it kicks the Hogle Zoo's butt. Also, the children's museum is terrific and Ben was only about 11 months old when he started enjoying it.

Lynn said...

Carnivals do strange things to people. This looks like a fun/interesting place to visit next time we are in Houston!

Emily Wright said...

I love the picture of Esme sleeping! And Annie, you look so great!
We're excited to see you in a couple weeks.