Monday, February 21, 2011

San Antonio

Roo came home early from work on Friday afternoon to an ornery wife who had a nasty case of cabin fever. So he came up with a quick plan for us to remedy the solution: get out of town.

We decided to pack up right then and head to San Antonio three hours away. Though Esmé was not too pleased with being locked in her car seat for three hours, the drive was nice and went quick enough.

We stayed one night at the St. Anthony's hotel, where, according to photos in the lobby, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Princess Grace, and John Wayne had also stayed. The hotel was a ten-story brick building full of chandeliers, dark wood, and charming vintage details. We were able to get a discounted rate on our room, which was small but nice.



We had a very comfy and large king-sized bed. Esmé did not get to sleep on this bed. She slept in a pack n' play which fit conveniently in the closet--don't worry, we kept the door cracked. That way we could watch our movie without disturbing her. (I guess I feel like I need to justify why I put my baby in a closet...)Friday night, we walked down to the riverwalk. This is a lovely stretch of river that cuts through the city and which is lined with picturesque restaurants and shops.

Saturday we wandered over to the Alamo. It was a drizzly morning, but not so bad that we couldn't enjoy the sights.



From there, we went back down and explored the rest of the riverwalk. (The picture below is not mine, but I didn't get a good shot of the place, so I borrowed it from the internet.) The place was really lovely and well-maintained, with small-town charm. It felt like a mix of New Orleans Square at Disneyland and Pocatello, Idaho.
It felt so great to get away, even for just one day!

9 comments:

Kathie said...

Every hotel (or Cabin) we have stayed at since having Gavin we have put him in the closet. And while I always felt a little guilty it works like a charm! I have no idea what we are going to do with two kids. Maybe put one in the bathtub. ;)
I am jealous. My version of getting away is a trip to the grocery store.

Amy said...

How fun! Glad you guys got out!

Grace said...

Those little trips are so fun. We have done a couple ourselves. And you definitely don't have to explain the reasons for putting your kids in the closet. If it is big enough, that is exactly where my kids go. They can't hear me and I can't hear them...perfect.

Lynn said...

What a fun trip! Roo is so great at taking get away trips. We should be more like him. The pictures are great too. I say it was a perfect idea to put Esmé's bed in the closet, way to think out of the box.

Jesse C said...

San Antonio looks pretty sweet. I like weekend trips. Nice job guys.

Mike + Mo said...

Fun! I LOVE spontaneous trips like that! San Antonio is a fun place...

Freckles Phillips said...

Looks like fun! Way to be spontaneous--even with a baby. Esme will have to learn how to deal with some minor travel time if she is to travel the world with you guys once she's potty trained! ;)
P.S. Is she playing with a Dr. Pepper can in that picture of her on a King Sized bed?? Hahaha

Dangcutekids said...

Esme has such darling hair and a great smile. I hate that cabin fever. Good choice to go for a little trip. What a cool old city.

Grannie G said...

Thanks for sharing your special time together. Esme doesn't know yet how lucky she is to have such inventive parents. Way to go!