Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Good Decision

About a week before moving to Houston, Roo's mom asked if we would be willing to take Papa (Roo's grandfather) dinner one night and spend the evening with him. We were right in the midst of moving chaos, organizing schedules and flights and trucks, packing up boxes, de-junking, making almost daily trips to the University of Utah so Roo could finalize his thesis, going to the pediatrician and the veterinarian, constantly changing diapers--in short, we were really busy. My initial reaction to the request, I'm ashamed to say, was that we were way too swamped to do it. Not only did we live forty minutes away, but we had an infant and enough stress to warrant a regrettable but legitimate, "sorry, but we can't."

However, I just couldn't bring myself to say no. When Roo asked if we should go, I decided to say 'yes'. And that was the best decision.

So that evening all three of us made the drive to Salt Lake, bought Papa his favorite clam chowder from Red Robin, and settled in at his home for dinner. Papa was in good spirits. He ate his chowder and asked us how we were. We told him about our plans for moving while we fed the baby and played with her on the living room carpet. He was thrilled just to watch Esmé--it seemed everything about her delighted him. While Papa watched Fox News, we looked at old photos of the family and all the places Papa had been during his 86 years. After a few hours, it was time to go home. But before leaving, we took this picture of us all:

That was last time any of us would see Papa living. He passed away September 29th after a short illness.

We were able to return to Utah for his funeral. During the service, one of his granddaughters remarked how Papa always made her feel special, beautiful. Though I was one of the newest members of Papa's large clan, and didn't know Papa as well as most anyone else at the funeral, I cannot forget how he did the same for me--whenever he'd see us, he would, without fail, comment that Roo had "filled out" quite a bit (which always made me laugh) and he would tell me I looked pretty. It's a small thing to say, but an important one, for me.

We will miss Papa. But I am so profoundly glad that we took the time that evening to see, serve, and say goodbye to Papa for the last time.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I got chills reading this post. I am so glad you guys were able to spend alone time with him one last time (I'm sure it meant a lot to him) and so glad you guys were able to make it back for his funeral. Sounds like a really wonderful man.

Lynn said...

Often the best decisions require the most sacrifice, but in the end the sacrifice is only prelude to a blessing. So glad you made the sacrifice and reaped the blessing, not just for you but for Papa too.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Glad you went too. It was good to see you.

Freckles Phillips said...

What a great post Annie! I love this picture too. Thanks for posting.

The Marcons said...

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting this! It is a good reminder for me. Let's do a playdate or something while you're in UT!