Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thank You, Strangers

We have made it to Texas. But before I get to all the details of the move and complaints of how hot it really is here, I just have to write this quick note:

Dear Lady and Guy Behind Me at Airport Security,

Please let me express my profound gratitude for your service to me last Wednesday. I got all the way to the front of the security line before the security guard informed me that I would have to take my baby out of the car seat so I could put it and the stroller carrying it through the x-ray machine. My mom was already waiting for me on the other side and I'm sure the rest of the people in line behind me were rolling their eyes and tapping their impatient toes while I, barefoot and stressed, struggled to pull the sleeping baby out of her seat, and wrestle the monstrous stroller into folded position with one hand (an impossible feat) while balancing my infant with my other hand. You, dear lady and guy behind me, stepped up promptly help me fold up the stroller because all my stroller know-how had suddenly fled my flustered brain. You hefted it onto the conveyor belt. You managed to make the car seat fit through the x-ray machine. "They sure don't make this easy," you said to kindly reassure me. Then once I made it through security you made sure I didn't need any more help before you each walked away into the airport crowd.

You probably didn't know that my husband was 1600 miles away, or that I was moving away from home that day, or that I was nervous and afraid to leave and to fly on the plane with a baby. You didn't know that the last few months have brought more changes in my life than I've ever experienced at one time, that I still feel like a major novice when it comes to being a mother, that my hormones often make me a terrifying wife, and that I almost don't even recognize my post-baby body which is still sporting unflattering maternity clothes. You also probably had no idea that I decided at the last minute to give my cat away to my in-laws the day before, so she moved to Idaho while I moved to Texas. I know she's just a cat, but I'll miss her. And I doubt you knew that it was my 6 year wedding anniversary that day.

Even knowing none of that, you still stepped up to help me get my stroller through airport security.

So thank you for helping me on my way.

Love,
Annie

9 comments:

Amy said...

Oh this is so sweet. Sometimes the smallest acts of kindness go so far. Glad you guys all made it there safely and we are missing you guys like crazy!

E.Maxine.Wright said...

I love those strangers for helping you. I'm sorry it was such a huge, crazy, unpredictable day, especially on your anniversary. I wish we were there to babysit, bring you meals, help you unpack, and let you know how much we love and miss you.

Mike + Mo said...

Maybe its just the hormones talking here, but that made me mist up. Glad to hear that there are people out there that are over themselves, enough to notice when someone needs help... Sorry Texas is soo hot, and I'm SURE your a GREAT mom!

ps. Have I told you lately that you are a great writer? Cause you are.

Mike and Emily said...

Annie, I'm so glad that someone was there to help you. I've had moments like that too, where I just don't have enough hands and my emotions are frayed and I need a little kindness. I hope you have a great adventure in Texas. I can't wait to hear about it.

TJ said...

That just made my day!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

You must have been at the SLC airport. They are notorious for being terrible to people with children. Any other airport and security jumps right in to help do all those things. Sorry it sucked. Can't wait to hear about all your Texan adventures. Happy Anniversary.

Emily Wright said...

rEading that made me wish I was there to help. I hope everything else went well on the flight. You are a wonderful mom!

The Marcons said...

Props to you for all you're dealing with right now. Happy Anniversary and good luck with all your future adventures. Can't wait to hear about them. Oh and Esme is so beautiful she makes me smile every time I see a picture of her. Keep em coming.

Grannie G said...

A helping hand in any circumstance is a true blessing and the nicest thing about it is someday you will be able to pass it on to someone else who is frazzled and frustrated. Love to you all. Esme is a true doll, just like her mom.