Sunday, September 7, 2008

California: What's Not to Love?

If you can overlook the rage-inducing traffic jams, horrendously overpriced housing, potentially dangerous amount of air pollution, we think there's an awful lot to love about California. Our recent trip just proved that to us again. Here's what we love:

1. The road trip: Ten long hours in a car, good music, frequent food and treat stops, and the largest thermometer in the world in Baker, CA. This time, we got a ride with our sweet friend Sarah Champion, who is moving to LA. Around Ontario, she went her way into the city and we went ours. We were happy to hear later that she arrived at her mom's house without getting lost in Inglewood which would have meant near certain death. Thanks for the ride, Sarah!

2. There's always somewhere new to go that is surprising and beautiful. We drove up a winding road (and through the tunnel where they filmed Back to the Future--any real fans will know what scene I'm talking about), and up to the Griffith Observatory. Roo loved it for the science and I loved it for its beautiful Art Deco 1930's architecture. It overlooked downtown on one side, and if you look behind you, you'll see the Hollywood sign. We'd never been here before, and I think it's one of the neatest places I've been in LA.




3. The Hollywood Bowl: Every year we have the tradition of seeing John Williams conduct the LA Philharmonic Orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl. We love listening to our favorite movie tunes with people wining and dining all around in the warm evening. We also love the homeless guy at the entrance who earns extra change by making his grungy dog hand puppet sing old showtunes.
I took this panoramic picture of the bowl. There are ten thousand people there, but it still feels cozy.

4. Knocking out my father-in-law on Wii Boxing.

5. The Beach. You may be like Roo and think that you can choose to not swim at the beach...

...but then you walk up on that rock back there to look at the view and a giant wave crashes and soaks you completely. I know because that's what happened to me here. You can't tell, but I'm completely soaked. But the view was nice...

7 comments:

jim said...

Looks like a fun trip. I love anything John Williams. Now I need to watch back to the future again.

Bachelor Paul said...

Hello

Dangcutekids said...

Looks like a blast. What a fun tradition to hear John Williams each year. Awesome panoramic picture.

The Morty's said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Sarah said...

Thank you for riding with me to California. I don't think I could have done it without you guys. Looks like you guys had a Great time out here in Cali. Drew and I went to USC yesterday and it was the same experience. Drew loved that he was on the grounds of a film school and I loved the look of the buildings. AWESOME! Hope all is going well!

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

California...knows how to party...


Thanks for giving me another excuse to go back to California. That observatory looks awesome...but I won't know for sure until I go there myself.

Lynn said...

One thing for sure, Annie and Roo know how to have a good time!